Skip navigation
Library

Official TES V: Skyrim Information

77 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

Small preview of the next issue on the website of Benelux Gaming Magazine Power Unlimited:

 

Quote:

PU 2 knalt praktisch uit z’n papier met de vijfde Elder Scrolls op de cover en binnenin het blaadje wordt er flink vooruitgekeken naar de games die dit nog jonge jaar gaan uitkomen. Jan stoft zijn glazen bol weer af en ook de andere redacteuren vertellen wat ze willen zien in 2011.

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim pakt de cover deze maand en volgens Steven is dit ook verdiend. De met draken gevulde sequel op Oblivion introduceert een low-fantasy setting met onwaarschijnlijk brute moves en de terugkeer van the Dark Brotherhood.

 

Translation:

Quote:

PU 2 literally bulges out of its binding with the fifth Elder Scrolls as the cover and inside the mag we will be looking forward to the games that will see a release during this year that has only just begun. Jan will look in his crystal ball and the other editors tell us what they would like to see in 2011.

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim grabs this months cover and according to Steven that is much deserved. The dragon-filled sequel to Oblivion introduces a low-fantasy setting with unbelievable cool moves and the return of the Dark Brotherhood.

 

Probably expected but Dark Brotherhood makes a return. However, according to the Infernal City the Mages Guild won't so I guess it wasn't THAT obvious all the old guilds will return in the same form.

Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

JuliusMagnus wrote:

Small preview of the next issue on the website of Benelux Gaming Magazine Power Unlimited:

 

Quote:

 onwaarschijnlijk brute moves

 

Translation:

Quote:

unbelievable cool moves

 

I guess I misstranslated that. After I read the GameInformer online article about combat they literally meant brutal. I thought it was like how you say cool and not litterally mean being in a low temperature. Brutal as in "Brütal Legend" Brutal.

Lady N's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2010

That cover is awesome! I love the simplicity of the black one, but its nice to see something different.

 

One thing I've always wondered about is why english names are not translated. Do people know what "elder scrolls" means, or do they take it to just be a name? I suppose in Benelux they might, but places like Russia don't even have the same writing system. 

Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

Lady N wrote:

That cover is awesome! I love the simplicity of the black one, but its nice to see something different.

 

One thing I've always wondered about is why english names are not translated. Do people know what "elder scrolls" means, or do they take it to just be a name? I suppose in Benelux they might, but places like Russia don't even have the same writing system. 

The Dutch speaking areas are pretty much like Scandinavia in our consumption of English materials.

That means we always keep the original English audio of movies, tv and games.

Movies and TV get Dutch subtitles but moslty keep their title in English (exceptions are family oriented movies like Shrek, Toy Story, Harry Potter and the like who are available in theatres in both Dutch audio and Original English audio. As for TV, the odd british comedy show has had translated titles, but mostly the titles stand as they are.

Interestingly, 'cult' japanese movies are almost always released in the Netherlands with an English title (probably because of the Kanji), Japanese audio and Dutch subtitles.

For games it is different. Most of the time there aren't even dutch subtitles. An exception I remember is Assassin's Creed 2. Menus and text mostly stay in English. It is even rarer to see Dutch Voiceover in games. Most of the time it comes of as corny. Black and White, Heavenly Sword and Heavy Rain were games that had Dutch voice-over, but many preferred to have the original English audio track if it was available. (I remember downloading the original English audio for Black and White).

Dutch people are generally proficient in the use of English. Maybe when I was twelve I had to grab the dictionary to understand some game titles.

The way I see it, I'd like to experience a game in the language it was made in, as long as I can understand it. That's why I played Metro 2033 with Russian voices (original I don't understand but get the ambience) and English subtitles (to understand it). With a japanese game I would prefer Japanese audio with English subtitles (it is unlikely they would get Dutch subtitles).

I'm guessing that in some countries where they don't teach English to an extend to understand the title, the title of the game might be explained in the first paragraph.

There is a double standard I discovered in countries like Germany and France where the titles of the movies get translated (look at some James Bond movies: Demain ne meurt jamais and Der Morgen stirbt nie) but games do not. Call of Duty is still Call of Duty in both countries.

Ralen's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/29/2010

Lady N wrote:

 

One thing I've always wondered about is why english names are not translated. Do people know what "elder scrolls" means, or do they take it to just be a name? I suppose in Benelux they might, but places like Russia don't even have the same writing system. 

I suppose it's easier that way. Here (Czech) the games are not always localized or they are localized some time after their release (usually by the community), but it's different with movies which are almost always in Czech and so they have also Czech names. When I am discussing TES on Czech forum I usually use English terminology, it's simpler because I play it in English and it is also easier to reference to English sources.

I think that a lot of people know what does it mean, the players are usually from the younger generation which has a better knowledge of English, but sure, there is a lot of people who take it to be just a name. I had this friend and he was kind of surprise when he found out what does Oblivion mean.

Luagar's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

JuliusMagnus wrote:
Probably expected but Dark Brotherhood makes a return. However, according to the Infernal City the Mages Guild won't so I guess it wasn't THAT obvious all the old guilds will return in the same form.

The return of the Dark Brotherhood seems rather random in that list.

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2010

Luagar wrote:

JuliusMagnus wrote:
Probably expected but Dark Brotherhood makes a return. However, according to the Infernal City the Mages Guild won't so I guess it wasn't THAT obvious all the old guilds will return in the same form.

The return of the Dark Brotherhood seems rather random in that list.

They were the most popular of the factions by far.

B
B's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2010

Here's a write-up of the Dutch Power Unlimited article.  I don't know if this is appropriate to put on the front page or not.

Luagar's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

Khevsureti wrote:
They were the most popular of the factions by far.

That's not exactly saying alot.

 

Either way, when I hear something hyped up as 'returning', I expect it to be something that has left. Say, the Legion. 

Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

Luagar wrote:

Khevsureti wrote:
They were the most popular of the factions by far.

That's not exactly saying alot.

 

Either way, when I hear something hyped up as 'returning', I expect it to be something that has left. Say, the Legion. 

Saying that the Dark Brotherhood returns has no bearing on the other guilds. All it could mean is that Bethesda is selective with giving out information (so they have some information left to give out in the remaining ten months) and has only confirmed the return of the Dark Brotherhood to this journalist.

Or you're just busting peoples' chops for how their native language is structured. Would saying "The Dark Brotherhood is in the game." be better because that is all that is implied.

If in Dutch you say something makes a return, it doesn't automatically mean something was left behind like you seem to suggest it suggests.

Proweler's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2010

You happen to know the original phrase? In Dutch?

Luagar's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

JuliusMagnus wrote:
Saying that the Dark Brotherhood returns has no bearing on the other guilds. All it could mean is that Bethesda is selective with giving out information (so they have some information left to give out in the remaining ten months) and has only confirmed the return of the Dark Brotherhood to this journalist.

Or you're just busting peoples' chops for how their native language is structured. Would saying "The Dark Brotherhood is in the game." be better because that is all that is implied.

If in Dutch you say something makes a return, it doesn't automatically mean something was left behind like you seem to suggest it suggests.

You're reading too deeply into what I said. I would have still made the comment even if 'return' hadn't been used; my only point was that the mention of the DB didn't fit with the flow of that blurb.

Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

Proweler wrote:

You happen to know the original phrase? In Dutch?

I posted it further back in the thread.

 

Quote:
PU.nl

 

PU 2 knalt praktisch uit z’n papier met de vijfde Elder Scrolls op de cover en binnenin het blaadje wordt er flink vooruitgekeken naar de games die dit nog jonge jaar gaan uitkomen. Jan stoft zijn glazen bol weer af en ook de andere redacteuren vertellen wat ze willen zien in 2011.

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim pakt de cover deze maand en volgens Steven is dit ook verdiend. De met draken gevulde sequel op Oblivion introduceert een low-fantasy setting met onwaarschijnlijk brute moves en de terugkeer van the Dark Brotherhood.

 

That is just the preview blurb from the announcement of the issue.

 

In the conclusion of previews of games in the Power Unlimited the writer of the article sum up positives and negatives for any given previewed title.

For this one it was:

+ The Dark Brotherhood returns in Skyrim.

+ The shouts in the Dragon Language are unbelievably brutal.

+ As magical and compelling as a game world can be.

+ A flexible class system with a host of interesting skills.

+ Radiant system creates a unique experience for each player.

- Wait till 11-11-11

 

Also earlier in the article it was mentioned that the Dragon Language was developed by the writer who was responsible for the creation of the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion

 

So the inclusion of a Dark Brotherhood simply made the previewer very happy. I don't know why that is random?

 

BTW I'm not transcribing print articles word for word since it would be the same as posting scans. A website is a different issue.

B
B's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2010

I made an attempt to place some of the known skills.

Ralen's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/29/2010

I would guess that One-handed weapons would belong under the warrior's skills, judging from this: "Though the dagger is still considered a one-handed weapon skill, the perks for the weapon are housed under the stealth banner."

B
B's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2010

Ralen wrote:

I would guess that One-handed weapons would belong under the warrior's skills, judging from this: "Though the dagger is still considered a one-handed weapon skill, the perks for the weapon are housed under the stealth banner."

An excellent point.  I wasn't sure.  I would think Block is a skill for a warrior too, but I haven't seen proof.

Along those same lines, I'm fairly confident that Marksman and perhaps Security would be Thief skills.  Also, I see a word that ends with -aft in this photo, and I would assume it is Speechcraft, but I have no hard evidence.

Offline
Joined: 11/25/2010

Ralen wrote:

I would guess that One-handed weapons would belong under the warrior's skills, judging from this: "Though the dagger is still considered a one-handed weapon skill, the perks for the weapon are housed under the stealth banner."

hmm,

Are they now using perks to differentiate the streamlined skillset?

Every skill will have roughly 12 perks.

I'm just hoping the spear is back (as seen in some concept art), which would now possibly be a perk within Two-handed.

Lady N's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2010

At first, I was really pessimistic about perks. Somehow choosing a perk and suddenly having everyone blow up, ala Fallout, seemed really out of place. Now that I read about it, I actually think its bloody genius. Fewer skills to mess with, but at the same time the customization of having a skill for every weapon. Could be really cool. 

B
B's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/14/2010

Lady N wrote:

At first, I was really pessimistic about perks. Somehow choosing a perk and suddenly having everyone blow up, ala Fallout, seemed really out of place. Now that I read about it, I actually think its bloody genius. Fewer skills to mess with, but at the same time the customization of having a skill for every weapon. Could be really cool. 

I agree that this way of doing things could be really cool.  In Oblivion, I always hated putting too much effort into raising skills that wouldn't cause me to level.  There was always one or two skills that I wanted to put some time into, but because they weren't my seven primary skills, I would always put them off untill the end.  Now I can focus on 8-9 skills I really love to use.

Offline
Joined: 01/31/2011

I do think Morrowind was the most detailed of all the Elder Scrolls. Medium armor, short blades, long blades, axe, spear, enchanting, along with Bloodmoon and Tribunal, which gave you 2 new huge areas to explore, made it an extraordinary game. Lets hope that Skyrim will deliver that kind of detail. 

Offline
Joined: 02/06/2011

*This is just speculation so dont kill me for this*

When I was reading about character creation for skyrim I noticed along with beards it said there would be "other customization options" now, from listening to the podcast that was recently released Tod said that instead of a multitude of sliders, like in Oblivion, you could select basic shapes for the features then fine tune them from there. I dont neccesarily that's all he meant about other options. I'm thinking (and kinda hoping) that tatoos and scars will be featured as well as more detailed aging features. again I'm not saying this for a fact, just posting my musings.

Jeroic's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

 All this 'I think" and "I suggest" should go in the other TESV thread. This is mostly just a posting of the solidly factual stuff.

Offline
Joined: 06/30/2010

In-game trailor. It looks amazing.

 

www.youtube.com/watch

Offline
Joined: 11/28/2010

Methinks I saw a Nirnroot plant.

Seriously, I cannot stop watching this. While I admit I was expecting a toooouch more realism out of the textures (particularly on the dragons) the overall feel is more than I could've hoped for. The architecture and landscapes look stunning. And the gameplay (and associated camera-jiggling) looks like it'll be very visceral indeed.

gro-dhal's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/04/2010

When he Thu'umed, I came

coltron3030's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/24/2011

Not sure why people are acting like the dagger will finally be useful (what with the one hit kill in stealth described), it was my favorite weapon in the last game. More so, there's no reason a dagger would deliver rmore damage in stealth than a slightly longer blade.

Od
Od's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/02/2010

gro-dhal wrote:

When he Thu'umed, I came

No joke.

Jeroic's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

 Well, it is a month with an "r" in it. Wily bastards. It's loading now. I'll edit this post after viewing. 

 

EDIT: Well fuck yeah. Assuming all of that was in-game footage, then the animations are definitely smoother, and even if only the little crowd shots were, it's smoother. Then, well, Dragon fight bizznitch.

Fugu23's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/28/2010

Yep. Definitely just came,

Offline
Joined: 07/07/2010

coltron3030 wrote:

Not sure why people are acting like the dagger will finally be useful (what with the one hit kill in stealth described), it was my favorite weapon in the last game. More so, there's no reason a dagger would deliver rmore damage in stealth than a slightly longer blade.

How much longer is slightly longer? Since the game probably won't have anything inbetween longswords and daggers, it is nearly impossible to slit someone's throat with a long blade. Neither is it easy to maneuver up through their ribcage. Doing a lot of damage with a long weapon requires a swing, which is noisy.